Sunday, April 27, 2014

Favorites

Electric Love
I finally have a picture of my favorite quilt, and I am ready to share it with you. As you have already learned, I love hearts. I don't know what it is, but I just love how there can be such a variation yet everyone can relate to the symbolism of what a heart represents.

Block detail
I acquired the fabric and pattern from a Black Friday sale that my mother-in-law took me to. We got a good discount if we came in our pajamas at midnight! We had a great time, and as we were getting ready to check out I saw this pattern on the shelf. I ran around the shop until I had found all the right fabrics and we left. For as excited as I was, I let the bag fall into my 'later' pile and it didn't get touched for a couple years.
Quilting detail

A few years ago we moved to Sioux Falls. I sorted thru all my sewing supplies to get more organized and came across the bag, and when I looked inside all the excitement from that trip returned. I stopped everything I was doing and dove into it. I think the end result is quite remarkable!

As much as I love this quilt, it is for sale. The quilt is 41' X 65' and has zigzag quilting overall. The back is a solid pattern that looks similar to coffee beans. The cost is $350 and that includes shipping. If you are interested, please contact me!



Log Cabin Rewind
Another one of my favorites is a log cabin. It took me almost seven years to complete, I had no idea what I was getting into when I started. One of the biggest mistakes I made was I followed the instructions to the letter. I gave myself no leeway and not long after I started I got frustrated and threw it into the back of my closet. I swore off log cabins forever!

Two years later, I was again sorting thru and organizing my stash and came across the mess of the log cabin I had. If you have ever made a log cabin, you know that you start with a small 2 or 2 1/2 inch block and stitch strips around the outside until you have a block size of your liking. When I started this one I had cut the pieces the EXACT length and width the directions called for (time consuming too!) And as I pieced, not all of the edges would line up. That is where the frustration came in.

Quilting/block detail
I was determined to finish this one. I ironed out all the pieces and threw the directions out the window. I used  the strips I had to finish what I could and then used scraps to make all the blocks the same size and assembled the quilt. I loved the result so much that I decided to make two more log cabin quilts (one for my daughter's doll bed and one for my bed--pictures to come later, they are not quite complete).Give yourself room to make mistakes, and you will be more successful in all your projects. You can always cut away, it is much harder to add!

My husband loves this quilt so much he won't let me sell it, and it has become part of my permanent collection. I can custom make a log cabin for you, but this one is off the table...

Caruso Sunset Detail
The last quilt that I would like to feature as a 'favorite' is the one I made for my mom. We were in a quilt shop and looking at these great batiks. I suggested I make her a quilt and she picked out a pattern that would go well with the fabrics.

When I started cutting, I realized the pattern was out of my skill level (at the time). Again, the directions were unclear and confusing- so I used them as a 'guideline' and mainly used the picture to direct what the end product was going to be. I basically ended up stitching the block detail on top of the blocks, assembled, and quilted.

When I showed the end project to my mom, she was stunned! The blocks I had placed on top fray and move and it adds a playfulness that is not seen very often in batiks. It turned out so much better than either of us had anticipated. She proudly displays this on her sofa and everyone comments on it.

Again, this one is not for sale (my mom would never part with it!) But if you see something you like and would like one of your own, please contact me for a custom quote!

That is all I have for today! I have several projects coming to the board as I continue to complete projects. Please check back to see what is next. I am also working on several of my own patterns that will be available soon. If you would like more information about any of the quilts or information you have seen, message me!


No comments:

Post a Comment